Monday, January 5, 2009

Twilight

Before you moan or judge just hear me out. I too have been captured by the "Twilight" frenzy. I just finished the 3rd book yesterday and boy it did not disappoint. Now for those of you living in a cave let me catch you up. Author Stephanie Meyer, has written 4 books known as the Twilight series. The books center around a teenage girl, who is living in Forks, Washington. She meets and falls in love with Edward a "17" year old vampire. I thought it sounded absurd too, but this book was recommended to me time and time again. The 8th grader that carpools with me that hates to read could not put it down and told me I had to read it! My friend that is a senior at LSU read all 4 books in a week. The Godmother to my daughter, who is 10 years my senior could not put these books down. So I did it. Stephanie Meyer is a wonderful author who not only captivated me, but millions of others!
I know you are thinking this has got to tie into abstinence in some way, and you are in luck it does! Warning! Spoiler alert if you have not read the 3rd book yet! Having read the first two books I watched the two main characters, Bella and Edward fall in love. There was no sex just normal hugging and kissing. I would see young girls walking around with copies of this book and think to myself, I hope their parents know what they are reading. I would bite my lip and be afraid to give an opinion when I did not as of yet know where this relationship was going physically. This Sat, while reading the book I could not believe my eyes. Stephanie Meyer devoted almost a whole chapter of the book to sex. And her hero, Edward, explained to Bella how he would not have sex with her until they were married.
My mouth hit the floor. But that was not all! He spoke of God's will. Here a character that had been deprived of his soul for over 70 years was still wanting to please God just in case there was a chance for him to share in the eternal life with his maker. He spoke of Virtue. Bella trying to persuade otherwise laughed and said you don't need to worry about my virtue, and he said, then what of mine? It was so powerful and thrilling to see that this pop culture craze was finally on my side of the battle of sex and it's portrayal in society.
Too often we are ready to give up something like our virtue and just shrug our shoulders at the matter. The most intimate thing we have to offer our one true love we often give away too early, because society says times have changed. Edward who comes from a time when a person's virtue mattered, and though time had changed he had not. Even though Bella used this as an argument that he needed to live in her time, he questioned was hers really all that much better. Are people happier with times changing? The high increase in STDS does not seem like a positive; it is a horrible reminder that times are changing! We as a society need to start fighting for our virtue again. And I am going to go join the Stephanie Meyer fan club. How wonderful that this author has million of teens reading her novels and she uses the platform for good.

No comments: