Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Get real!

Last night I switched the TV over to ABC Family to watch the season premier of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager". I confess that I only watched about 6 minutes before I turned it back to the Fiesta Bowl. I wanted to see how the show was going to address the teenage pregnancy issue. Obviously I disapproved, since I only watched 6 minutes, trust me the game was just as good as I thought it would be.
In my blog yesterday, I praised Stephanie Meyer in her handling of the issue of sex outside of marriage. I wish I could have such praise for this 'family" drama. It was just so hard to watch the 15 year old teenagers decide that the best way to handle their situation was to get married. Are you kidding me? What do you get with a pregnant 15 year old girl and you marry her to her 15 year old boyfriend? You get an even bigger mess than you had before.
I saw only one other scene, where the girl's mother is asking her father for a divorce. I could not tell if it was the writing or acting that was so bad. Either way it did not matter I switched back to a really great ball game. I asked my car pool buddy today how the rest of the show played out. Turns out they got fake ids and got hitched. Even my 13 year old friend said that it was a really stupid soap opera at this point.
What a waste. The idea and title of the show made me think it may have potential. This show has failed miserably. It could have actually been a little more realistic and helpful to teenagers without being preachy. It is far from realistic, and instead of showing how to do things correctly, it just illustrates ways to further screw up an already difficult situation. As teenagers are watching this, without their parents, they are thinking that at least these two characters love each other. After all he is not even the father of her baby. He loves her so much he wants to marry her...at 15? I don't know about you, but I am so glad I did not end up with my crush at the tender age of 15. But I do remember how sure I was that he would be perfect for me for the rest of my life. It is important to recognize that most teenagers feel this way about love, but it is up to us to remind them of how many more crushes there are out there waiting to be to explored.
No, I will not watch this huge waste of time again, not even 6 more minutes. I am sorry that an opportunity presented itself and it was not seized. Oh well, maybe there is a writer out there who can do it better. Until then I will not stay tuned.

No comments: