Friday, January 9, 2009

A reality tv world

Remember when reality TV began? I think the first show I remember was MTV's "Real World"; I know for a fact "Survivor" and "Big Brother"played into it big time. I loved how the producers of series TV shows were anxious for the fad to end. No, I think reality TV is here to stay. My dirty secret is that I am addicted. I am guilty of watching and loving: Top Chef, Project Runway, Top Design, Deadliest Catch, The Real Housewives of Orange County, and my absolute favorite..Biggest Loser! I am sure there is a 12 step program out there for me, but I just don't want the help.
I do see a down side to this trend. It is as if the youth of today don't see a need to keep anything secret. Don't believe me? Have you been on My Space or Facebook? Before you say anything, I am not a hypocrite just because I have a facebook account. My status updates are never overtly revealing. The problem is that teens and college students for that matter are using these social networks to do 2 things. First they want to advertise. Now why on earth you want to put a picture of yourself licking a friends face is beyond me. But your message is loud and clear...you are easy and up for anything. The second thing I think these sites are being used for is their own reality TV show. You want to be an open book and let everyone see everything. There is something to be said for keeping some secrets. A little mystery is good for you.
There was a time when the idea of "Big Brother" was bad. Nobody wanted 'big brother' watching, but now we are encouraging a bunch of exhibitionist and for that matter voyeurs. Unfortunately many of today's youth do not realize the true power of the Internet. What you think is funny and harmless today, may not be to a future university you want to attend, or a future employer who holds the keys to your dream job. People are acting without thinking through the consequences and I see a lot of regret in their future if this does not change. Your life is yours and it is okay to share glimpses, but I can't believe it is like having to tell someone to close the bathroom door. I wonder what ever happened to common sense. If you see it tell it I said hi and we sure could use some right about now.

No comments: