Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mississippi, I can help you

On my morning drive today, I was thinking of blog ideas. My thoughts were interrupted by the radio, the news reported that Mississippi now has the distinction of being the state with the highest number of teenage pregnancies. I say with great affection to a state I spent a wonderful 6 years living in, there is help. Let me help you! Really, what do you have to lose? Now for those of us throughout the country, try not to get too cocky the news is not good for us as a whole. For the first time since, 1991 we are seeing an increase in teenage pregnancy.
I quickly scanned the study released by the CDC reporting the increase. It was not difficult to find news articles writing about the report. A disagreement seems to be brewing between those teaching abstinence and those teaching safe sex. Supporters of safe sex say that the increase instruction of abstinence has led to this because kids did not know how to practice safe sex. Supporters of abstinence pointed out that little has stopped being taught about safe sex so the report must represent that safe sex is failing. If both sides could stop squabbling I will tell you the problem; nobody wants to tell these kids the truth: there are serious consequence to sex.
If you read the report ( http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr57/nvsr57_07.pdf ) the teens that are most at risk are: African American, and Hispanic. I wonder about the socio-economic factors involved. Additionally, I wonder about the role of the parents in the households of these teens. I doubt neither safe sex or abstinence is talked about. I am sure there is a cycle being perpetuated from generation to generation. So what are we going to do about it? We need to get to ALL teens and tell them of ALL the consequences related to sex outside of marriage.
I know it does not need to be said, but I will say it anyway, condoms have never protected someone from the emotional and psychological damage done from regret filled sex. That is why if given the opportunity to go into these underprivileged areas I will continue to only promote abstinence. As for those of you enjoying the comforts of a private education, let me remind you, the risks are still just as great for you. Herpes and HPV do not discriminate based on your parent's socio-economic status.
The news report today was sad. But it did bring me some hope. Apparently this crazy passion of mine will not have to end anytime soon. It seems there is much work for me to do. I do long for a day when the pendulum swings and society is backing the abstinence movement. Oh happy day I can't wait to see you!

2 comments:

Ranger Ben said...

I again applaud both your positive attitude and your commitment to what is right. Vaya con Dios!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how long it would take you to talk about this one. :)
Christy