Wednesday, February 25, 2009

We are in heat!


Recently our puppy, Penny has come into heat. This is a whole new experience for me! My husband encouraged me not to get the dog fixed so our girls could have the joy of puppies. Against my better judgement I went along with his plan and now our little girl has become a woman. We have the perfect male for her to date in six months and if all goes according to my husband's scheme we will have puppies for Christmas.


All of this has really taken me aback, my sweet dog keeps trying to eat through our fence to get to potential suitors. Random dogs hang around our house trying to get a glimpse of that girl emitting pheromones. And when we try to take Penny for a casual evening stroll it has turned into something resembling a roller derby trying to keep her virtue intact. It reminded me that often I hear from teens I talk to, "I just don't know if I have the self-control to stop". Heads up! We are thinking, rational beings, not animals! My poor dog has an excuse, this same excuse will not fly with me when my girls enter their teen years.


If Penny goes behind my back and gets knocked up, that becomes my problem. She is not a girl that will have to really be concerned with the consequences of her actions. I on the other hand would have to figure out how to sell the by products of her poor choice in men! So yes, we have hormones and we have physical desires, but God gave us the ability to think and rationalize our decisions. He also gave us free will. Now you have a choice you can go out there and act like a dog and actually suffer the consequences. Or you can put on the brakes when things start to heat up with your girlfriend/ boyfriend and act like the rational human being I know you to be!

No comments: