Monday, February 2, 2009

Stolen Youth

I would like to report a crime. The innocence of today's youth is being stolen right in front of my very eyes. Of course this is not a new revelation but it struck me again how swiftly this is being done. Thursday night hubby and I went on a movie date. On the drive home, I heard some old school Madonna. The song was "Holiday". No, this is not the song that set me off to report this crime. But it was the song that started my thoughts a churning. That particular tape also had the song "Material Girl". The song was released in 1985. I was in the 7th grade and I thought the song was about a girl who did not need the material things in life. I guess I missed the whole point of the song. But I do remember how beautiful she looked in the pink dress as she sang in a very Marilyn Monroe style in the music video. I don't tell you all of this to show how ignorant I was. I tell you this to show you how innocent I was.
Society is forcing our kids to grow up and we are just watching it happen. We shrug our shoulders and say, "Well what are you going to do about it? It's just the way things are." Is it fair that kids in Jr high are expected to act like kids in high school? And then what of the kids in high school that are behaving as if they are in college? I understand the challenges we face as parents. But I would rather face those challenges, than have my daughter have to bear them. Because kids are making adult decisions in jr high and high school the obstacles to living a carefree tween/teen years are becoming insurmountable.
On a Friday night in high school, I would typically go to a football game and then out to eat with my girlfriends. Often on a Sat night, my mom and dad would let me have countless friends over( boys and girls) to watch movies and visit. My parents gave me an alternative to what else was out there for me. I know I was missing the keg parties and endless opportunities of having really bad sex, but I never felt like I was missing out. Maturity wise, I wasn't there yet. Because in my house I was allowed to be 15 or 16, in fact I was encouraged to embrace my age and to live it to the fullest.
This Wednesday, my Caroline is turning 7. It is all she has talked about since November. I told her this morning that, while I am not okay that she is turning 7 she has to promise to love being 7 and she may not even turn her thoughts to 8 until next January. She promised. I don't have the answers and I wish I did. But I know that I am focusing on my children embracing their age acting their age and waiting to grow up. The saying "good things come to those who wait" is true. If I can convince my kids to wait for the grown up experiences for when they are truly grown ups I think I just might win this war with society. I have not nor do I plan on surrendering the childhood of my precious girls. I will fight for mine will you fight for yours?

No comments: