Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Uh oh I think I am a hypocrite

It dawns on me the more I listen to the radio the more I have to shelter my kids from it. I will tell you the truth; if you are in my car Monday through Friday 11am til 6pm I am tuned into talk radio. (either sports or politics depending on the season) However there are days when the 2 little ones in the back seat perform a mutiny and I am forced to find some "music" on the radio. Many times when I do this I tune out what is playing. But the other day, I was sure I heard a girl singing and the lyrics were: "I kissed a girl and I liked it...I hope my boyfriend don't mind it felt so right it felt so wrong etc..." I quickly turned it off and realized that maybe the only thing safe is my ipod. I have downloaded several playlists for the girls that are safe and let's face it I think my music taste, while eclectic is pretty safe. I also noticed while downloading new songs that "I kissed a girl" is #3 on the down load chart.
It got me to thinking about what is available to my girls to just hear on the radio. My friend, Lynn and I were talking about it at the pool this weekend and she pointed out two very popular songs to me right off the bat...the first one is "Low", which I confess I LOVE but it is terrible! And the second one is called, "Lollipop". I have not listened to that one everytime I hear it I change the station, because I am pretty sure it is not about the candy. If sex is thrown into our kids faces 24 7 how do we stand a chance? Well as I said, I thought I was clever and I put my Ipod on shuffle and enjoyed some car time with my girls. That is until my husband pointed out to me that our oldest was singing "Celia" by Simon and Garfunkle. He said, "that is not even just sex outside of marriage, but sex with multiple partners. Yikes I said, "I am such a hypocrite" .
I guess I have decided that there is no easy solution. Maybe it is as simple as getting my kids to understand that I am the expert on the matter and not Fiddy cent. I don't know. But I do know we sat down on itunes last night and I let them add songs to MY Ipod!

No comments: