Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The most wonderful season of all...

I can't believe it is here! My favorite season has finally arrived! No, not fall (it's Louisiana we don't have a fall). It's time for football. Only 3 more days and my heart will start pounding, my hands will get clammy, I will hardly be able to catch my breath as the LSU Golden Band from Tiger Land will take the field for pre-game. I regret that I am a petite girl that never got to play the bone crushing, thrilling game of football. And now I am relieved that I have two beautiful daughters that will never play the bone crushing, thrilling game of football. So how in the world do I talk about my favorite sport and tie it in to living a life without regret? Hang with me I think I can make it work.
The title of my blog and website, living with no regrets, while centered on the idea of abstinence can really work in every aspect of your life. Take for example your studies. Let's say you have a big test coming up. You can choose to study and make an A or you can slack off, watch TV and talk on the phone and wind up making a pretty poor grade. For every decision you make there is a consequence: some good and some bad. For sex outside of marriage every consequence is going to be negative. When you have sex outside of marriage, you wonder the next day, is he/she going to call? Was I used? If you think of the consequences of your actions for almost everything you do you will more than likely have life with fewer complications. To study or not study. To have sex or not have sex. In both instances you can probably gather which may be the better option. You may not want to study, but alternatively you know you don't want to fail. You mom and dad will be on your case, you could get grounded and have trouble getting into the college of your choice. So if you sacrifice one night of TV or talking on the phone to study, you will do well on your test. Your parents will be proud, maybe even extend your curfew by an hour for being so responsible. See...good consequences.
In football, you can study the play book and game film and work really hard at practice. You may miss some time with the guys or girls hanging and having a good time, but hard work gets recognized. Coaches see the improvement and the next thing you know you are starting at this weekends game. Or how about Michael Vick. No one would ever doubt his God given talent. But certainly everyone knows how dumb he was. Forget how repulsive dog fighting is, he at some point had to make the decision to enter the world of illegal dog fighting. Knowing it is illegal he immediately knew that one consequence had to be jail time. And if serving jail time, he would be unable to fulfill his duties on the field. His income would be gone, his endorsement deals would be pulled. Had he just thought it through before he acted he could be on the sidelines with the Falcons, instead he is serving time and just filed for bankruptcy.
You may really want to have sex. You may really like the person. You probably are envisioning your future. What does that future look like if you decide to have sex, before marriage? Do you see where they dump you to sleep with someone else. Do you see the baby you are left to take care of on your own? Do you see the lifetime of battling the STD he/she just gave you? On the other hand, you wait to have sex. Best case scenario, you can see your wedding day and a life of healthy, guilt free, stress free sex. Or maybe they dump you because you won't, in which case you know, whew you just dodged a bullet. Pretty lame to compare this to football I know, but what can I say...this sport just makes me crazy!

No comments: