Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Life is short


Yesterday we had to put our 5 month old puppy to sleep. We were devastated by our loss, but it got me to thinking. Life is too short who wants it full of regret? My husband and I were talking about Lady and if we had known it was her last day we would have...given her a hamburger for breakfast, let her sleep in our bed etc.

The truth is we don't know how long we are going to be on this planet, but do we really want to fill that time with moments of regret? Two days before our wedding, my husband and I hosted a party for all of our friends in the wedding. (we thought it was the only time we would have free to actually enjoy their company and not running around a rehearsal) It was at this dinner I was joking and laughing with a group of girlfriends. I made a joke about wedding night jitters and one of my friends stopped me and said, "Wait you and Chris haven't had sex?" And when I confirmed her suspicions she started to cry and say how beautiful that was and that she wished she had waited. Here was a friend that had been married for over 3 years and was crying with the regret that she had not saved herself for her husband. It dawns on me that people never cry because they regret not sleeping with someone...instead they cringe with regret because they did. I did not get married until I was 28. I don't think my life pre-Chris is missing anything. I think I lived fully and loved deeply without having sex outside of marriage. And best of all Chris, can meet ex-boyfriends and know that none of them have bibical" knowledge of me. If you are trying to decide whether or not sleep with someone right now, think about what I just said, you will never regret NOT sleeping with someone...if you are meant to spend the rest of your life with them, then you will have the rest of your life to...."sleep" ;)

All that being said, I still can't believe our precious puppy, Lady Jane is gone but I have no regrets knowing that her life would come to such a short end I would give her all of my love again and take all of her love she had to offer.



1 comment:

Davis C. Hotard said...

Jennifer,
Don't worry about Lady Jane - I'm sure she is doing just fine "in jail!" She's getting all the hamburgers and bed sleep she can take. I can't wait to see Lady Jane 2...I'm know she'll get tons of love from you, Chris, and the girls!
-- Davis