Monday, October 20, 2008

Where do I begin?

Tonight I truly do not know where to begin, I have so many issues to address. Now I need to narrow it down to just one, so which one will it be? Tonight I think I would like to talk about character. The old saying that opposites attract is true. However attraction is half the game character is the entire game. I meet people who want to stay pure until they are married. Their number one concern is finding someone whose values mirror their own. I know when I was dating and really wanting to get married that I had resigned myself to "settling". It would be impossible to find someone who thought of "sex" as old fashioned as I did. I have no complaints, in fact I was quite lucky. No one I ever dated thought sex was a deal breaker. And to my knowledge no one ever dumped me because of it. But I do remember wondering if what I was looking for really existed. And on the second date with my husband I found out it did.

Back to my first thought about opposites attracting. Who knows why people have chemistry together, but if all you have in common is chemistry that will not sustain a relationship. And that is why I talk of character. Maybe none of my boyfriends pushed me, because we had our character in common. Sure there were boys I met that had MAJOR chemistry, but after a few dates when you know that is all you have, you know that it is not going any where good. AHHH memories. And what I remember is that the ones I shared just chemistry with had none of the character traits I was looking for.

I don't mean to focus just on the struggles of the female looking for a suitable male. I know all about the girls that do not share any of my character traits. These are the girls sending naked pictures of themselves to boys via the Internet and cell phone. Guys I know it is hard, no pun intended, to turn away from these vixens, but I promise if what you want in the long run is a girl to live happily ever after with, she is not the one. Really can you bring one of these girls home to meet your mama and look your parents in the face with pride? And what about this scenario...are you the first boy she ever sent a picture or suggestion to? Better yet, let us not forget that 1 in 4 girls that are sexually active have an STD. DO you want the mother of your children to be the one that gave you herpes?

You will note that I am not trying to change the mind of these pushy girls. I wonder if they just don't have the foresight to see that this fast living comes with life long consequences. And for many a very sad life full of very bad, disappointing, unfulfilled relationships. These are the girls that at 23 look like they are already 35. Fast, hard, living has a way of aging you and it is like a billboard about your character. If you haven't yet traveled down this road just fast forward to where you see yourself in 10, 15, 20 years do you see a happily ever after? Is that what you want? What you are hoping to find in a life mate be sure you are exhibiting those same traits today. Your character is not something you can change when you are ready to grow up, your character is what becomes of you as you grow up.

No comments: