Monday, October 13, 2008

This is for you, Scott at the nervous nation!

As I mentioned in Saturday's blog, lately I have encountered people who think I am wasting my time. One was our new friend, Scott who left a comment on my blog about Gardasil, the other was a private email I received. I plan to address both of these, but today I will just answer the questions raised by Scott.


The first thing I noticed Scott say was that abstinence would prevent "some" HPV disease. Ah, no, that would be ALL HPV. Now this is assuming that by abstinence I am not just talking about the actual act of intercourse. Yes, everyone, you can get an STD by your genitalia rubbing up against your partners. SO no contact sports can be played until Marriage.


Scott's next argument is that, "abstinence is not tenable because it is not the norm". Does that mean we don't strive to change ANYTHING? Someone alert the media and their darling Barack Obama. I do believe people can change. I have met people who have heard me talk about the risks that have decided to change. It is as if every voice out there: in music, movies, all media outlets are all saying it is okay to have sex like it is our right. But with sex, comes a duty to be responsible and to educate people and to tell them it is okay not to have sex. There are so few voices representing the alternative, that is why I do this. I wonder you mentioned the 50% divorce rate, do you know the rate of divorce when people wait to have sex until they are married? Don't worry neither do I. Wouldn't it be an interesting subject? I can say from personal experience that having waited until I was married, I love my husband more today than the day I married him. And I never worry the next morning if he will call me, or if I was good enough. There is something about getting to have sex and having NO worries about it! And incidentally, I feel the same about sex outside of marriage if you are a divorcee too. The risks for STD and other consequences don't disappear just because you are no longer in your twenties.


Finally, Scott, you corrected me, Gardasil does protect you from 4 of the 100 strains of HPV, not just two. But it does not change the percentage. You are still risking getting HPV at 30%; a number I am still not comfortable with. And yes, it will protect you 90% of the time from genital warts Yea Gardasil!!!!!!!!!!

To my readers, I want you to know that I liked Scott raising questions. Anytime I am asked to defend my stance on something it often reiterates and energizes me and my initiative. And sometimes it allows me to get a little bit more detailed in my argument. SO don't ever hesitate in playing my devil's advocate. I accept it and anticipate the challenge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jennifer, How blessed I am that you are the mother of my granddaughters and the holy lifemate of my son. I am moved by your courage and passion for spreading the good news of living with no regrets. You hear God knocking on the door of your heart and you open it to do His bidding...a lesson for all of us to think about. You go, Girl. Love, Reen