Thursday, March 12, 2009

what happened with the baby daddy?

Well here is a shocker...Bristol Palin and her fiance' have broken up! It would seem that Levi and Bristol did not in fact have true love for one another. When I first blogged about Bristol's predicament back in the fall of 2008, I said that she was unfortunately the rule and not the exception among today's teens. Hearing the news today, that she and Levi are separated only reiterates my point. Teens think they have found true love, make grown up decisions with grown up consequences and think the rest of their life will be a fairy tale.
The truth is I can only think of two of my friends that married their high school sweethearts, and I think they even broke up for a while in college. I know when you are young and in love you think you have found everything you are searching for, I know this because I used to think the same thing. Now I look at all of my high school crushes and wipe my hand across my brow and say whew, am I lucky I didn't go down that road! But in my teens, while I was doodling their name and seeing how my first name looked with their last name I doubt you could have convinced me we were not meant to be. Ah my good old friend hind sight!
Unfortunately every day we have teens who think they have discovered their soul mate, and they engage in sex thinking this will bring them closer to one another, when really it can just tear them apart. Just think what may have happened if Bristol and Levi had not had sex. Maybe they would have dated throughout the rest of high school and college, gotten a job married, and even bought a house. And maybe a few years later they would have started the family they always dreamed about. OR maybe they would have dated the remainder of high school, gone off to college and discovered there are a whole lot of other fish in the sea, parted ways and have fond memories of their high school sweetheart.
Now, because they did choose to express their love in a physical manner they are forever tied to one another. Probably Levi will start dating first because he is not actually living with their son. He does not have the day to day responsibilities that Bristol does. Actually all he is required to do by law is provide financially for his son. So does he bring his dates over to meet his son? How does Bristol handle other women down the road being involved in her son's life. Do you think either of them thought about any of this before they decided to have sex? Isn't their situation, which is unfortunately typical of teens today, enough for you to say no to sex outside of marriage? Don't be left wondering one day, what happened to my baby daddy or my baby mama.
I know you think you are in love. And if it is the real, til death do you part kind of love then sex can wait until you say I do!

No comments: