Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Fairy Tale Wedding



I don't know if you are like me or not, but I think I have heard enough about the impending Royal Wedding. Sure I understand how people can get swept up in the excitement, but when you break it down, it is still just a wedding. There is a song I like from a very raunchy play, but I think one of the lines from that song definitely relates to the frenzy of what we are all witnessing. The line from the song is, "It's a fine fine line between a fairy tale and a lie". Millions watched as Princess Diana married Prince Charles. Everyone hung unto every detail of that wedding and maybe even wished it was them. Well, lets see how that fairy tale played out...It was a loveless marriage that ended in divorce. And well, Princess Di took on a lover, travelled with him to Paris, where she was in a car accident and died! No happily ever after there.







Now, we have a ROYAL WEDDING where the future King of England has been shacking up with the future princess. I am a huge fan of fairy tales, but I don't believe in any of them did the prince say, "Hey Cinderella, this is a demanding life I lead, why don't we live together and see if you are in it for the long haul" Be still my beating heart! I ask you parents, is this the dreams you have for your kids, don't you want more for them? Don't you know that there is more in store for them?







Tomorrow as the future King and his bride declare their vows, my husband and I will be celebrating 11 years of marriage. What I have been blessed with, is as close to a fairy tale as I think I can ever find. We had a BEAUTIFUL wedding (thanks Mom and Dad), we went on a 9 day honeymoon to St. John USVI. We returned to our house that was not ours until after we said I do. We built that house into a home and had 2 perfect baby girls. Later we bought a 2nd home big enough to accommodate the 4 of us and our 2 high maintenance dogs. But this fairy tale is real life, kids get sick, husbands get cranky, and dogs die. God promised us life and we make the best of what he gives us. He did not promise us all rosy days with no stress, disappointment or sadness.







I worry that tomorrow people will watch the Royal Wedding and will buy into the fairy tale and forget the reality. William and Kate will have immense pressures to deal with in their marriage, always under public scrutiny, constantly being second guessed. Marriage is hard enough when you are not royalty I cannot imagine the obstacles they will have to endure. I guess what I want people to understand is the sacredness of marriage and of love and never confusing that with, well, fairy tales!










Happy Anniversary, Chris!

No comments: