Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gardasil: It is not all it is cracked up to be

Yesterday while folding laundry a commercial for Gardasil came on and has really lit a fire in me. This sweet looking teen says, because she wants to be one less facing cervical cancer she is going to get the Gardasil vaccine. Here I am taking deep, deep breaths before I continue...I will not rant, I will not babble.

First of all if we are really worried about cervical cancer how about we just don't have sex outside of marriage. 99% of cervical cancer cases comes from sexual intercourse. Now you may say, but I am only sleeping with my girlfriend or boyfriend. Well that may be, but who have they slept with before you? Remember you are never sleeping with just one person you are sleeping with everyone they have slept with. Having sex with one or multiple partners makes you susceptible to HPV. HPV is the leading cause of cervical cancer as I said earlier, 99% of the cases! But wait the heavens have opened, the angels are singing and there is Gardasil.

I can't tell you how many times I have given the abstinence talk and the girls are always quick to point out that STDS are not as bad as I make them out to be, because they have the Gardasil vaccine. Oh I did not realize it protected you from broken hearts, emotional scarring pregnancy, and herpes ...wow what a drug! So what does it do? Well for starters it protects you from 2 types of HPV. There are over 100 strains. You know each year when you get the flu shot and you hope you are getting the right one? Or how many times have you gotten the flu shot or known someone who did but they or you still get the flu? Gardasil claims it can protect you from 70% of the cases; are you willing to risk your life for the other 30%. I am really not a gambler, but 30% seems awfully high to me.

In an article dated June of 2008 http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=68454 I read of the death toll associated with the Gardasil vaccine. Sure 20 deaths and 140 serious complications seems low when you think of how many vaccines have been administered, but 1 death would be too many for me when it comes to giving this to my daughter. What about the side effects? Seizures, blood clots, Bells Palsy and Gullain-Barre Syndrome. Why would I put my daughter at risk for these side effects, when the same if not better results come from good old boring abstinence?

I am sick of hearing that abstinence does not work. That's funny I know for a fact that you will not get pregnant if you are living a life of abstinence. And the odds of you getting cervical cancer are less than one percent. So the next time you see a Gardasil commercial and the cute teenager says she is going to be one less, think of me yelling at my TV, "Sure you can be one less, STOP having sex!"

1 comment:

Scott said...

While your argument for abstinence would prevent some HPV disease, its just not tenable. You know, as well as I do, that abstinence before marriage is just not the norm. Even if it were, 50% of marriages end in divorce, and those people are not celibate for the rest of their lives.

Also, the vaccine protects you from 4 HPV types, not 2. Types 16 and 18 - which cause around 70% of all cervical cancer cases, and types 6 and 11 which cause around 90% of all genital warts cases.

Scott
thenervousnation.net